Township of Greenville Cemeteries
The township cemeteries are almost as old as the State of Ohio itself. Ohio became a state in 1803 and the first township cemetery, Martin Cemetery on Culbertson Rd., came into existence in 1815. The township is responsible for the care and well being of 8 cemeteries. They are Martin, Crickbaum (1828), Newcomers (1830), Emmanuel (1850), East Zion (1860), Bethel (1870), and the newest, Greenville Township Memorial Gardens (1965). The Township also runs, in conjunction with the city of Greenville, the Greenville Union Cemetery located at the west edge of town on St. Rt. 571. The Cemetery Sexton is Dan Wolf. Dan oversees all of the cemeteries in Greenville Township. The Sexton's duties include making sure the grounds are maintained, the monuments are intact and for the selling of new lots. There are 3 active cemeteries in the township. They are Greenville Township Memorial Gardens located on St. Rt. 118, East Zion located on St. Rt. 36 E. of Greenville, and Emmanuel located on New Madison-Coletown Rd. However, in the last few years we have had one burial at Martin Cemetery. In 2008, the Greenville Township Trustees began the "Adopt a Cemetery Program" in order to care for the older cemeteries. The Greenville High School Key Club student members took several weeks after school and helped the Cemetery Sexton, restore the 4 older cemeteries. They set up monuments, repaired broken monuments and reset some of the stones. Due to their efforts, Township of Greenville Cemeteries are the best kept in Darke County. For more information please call 937-548-4921.
For Burial Records, Rules, regulations and policies for all Greenville Township Cemeteries - Click Here.